Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Day (Christmas Day)

I am Joe's Kleenex. Or actually, I have borrowed Joe's Kleenex and he won't want it back. But I don't ache all over any more. Doug and I made it to about 11 pm and folded, although, it being New Hampshire, someone not far set off fireworks so I gathered midnight must have taken place locally. It is certainly 2008 today.

Do you know, it SNOWED today! Only about four more inches. Making maybe a foot on the ground. I filled the birdfeeders because we are getting mixed flocks of about 50 Redpolls (as charming a bird as anyone could want)and about forty Evening Grosbeaks( who wear white shoes and belts after Labor Day, but are basically all right). Marten helped me. He waded in snow up to his armpits and did not think much good of it.

Christmas Day went pleasantly, although I failed to set fire to the oven while making Yorkshire pudding and disappointed people for the second or third year running. The plum pudding came out very well; too well, I had two helpings and did not feel right for the next 48 hours. I think we had a good time, our immediate family enlivened by the addition of Doug and Lisa. We did not get a picture of the family all together because Sam was late arriving and Ellie had gone off to be with her boyfriend. Lively was the to-ing and fro-ing with cars, as Doug went back to NH, taking Ellie's and my spoils; Ellie took my car to Woburn. I was Sam's passenger in a car that I think belonged to one of Kimberly's friends (My parents left a bit earlier). I went back to their house to ponder my indigestion and yearn for sleep. Ellie arrived there about 10 pm. The next day my parents took my car back to the ex's for free parking. Ellie and I had not enough sleep, as we arose at 5:00 to catch the 6:10 to Penn Station.

I am folding for the day myself now, so New York will have wait yet another day. I gave Sarah the Cat Bordhi book of which Everyone is Talking. Ellie thoughtfully gave me a copy, so we cast on about the same time. Sarah is diving in with the Coriolis; I have spent today making nearly all of the Little Sky sock. I didn't start till late; it is not impossible. There is an errata page on her website as well as links to her YouTube, which I recommend if you are as slow as I am to figure out the Magic Cast-On of Judy Becker, or for reassurance in the LIttle Sky sock generally. The Cast-on one is quite funny. I am happy to know I am not the only one who makes her needles and stitches talk in little voices.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I have been wanting to try the Sock Of Which You Speak - Heidi showed me hers over Christmas and it looked thoroughly intriguing.

Anyway, I hope your 2008 goes swimmingly. New beginnings and lengthening days and all.