Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I was there. It was good.

Juno said it all better than I shall. But despite the driving (which was just long, not harrowing -- I reached Poughkeepsie by 1:30 on Friday, before it got dark or hairy), and the sudden terrible depletion of my checking account, I have to thank Norma and TooMuch wool for making me go. They were, as always, entirely right. Having a brainworm of "Touch Me in the Morning" for over a week was making the wycked speryts come out in their ghostly hosts. All the friendly people, and the colors, and a Mary Pratt fleece from a sheep called Peggy Sue took care of that.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Nathania and Julia

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mama Cate, whom I may now actually recognize


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

an unfortunate person who photographs badly with a Rhinebeck katsina


I will forget something important, but here are a few of MY highlights: The wonderful pleased delighted welcome I got when Julia and Cassie and Laurie found me;

the lamb chop/kebab/spinach/mesclun plate, perfectly done but not charred;

getting Norma to admit she spindles just fine with the right material (I also taught a perfect stranger, whom I hope finds the article on dog hair in the recent Spin-Off);

the sun coming out;


Image hosted by Photobucket.com (oh, yes, that's the Mary Pratt fleece I bought myself, Jazz...oh, yes, I washed it on Monday...you mean you don't wash your fleeces before you unpack the rest of the car? yes, that's a mini-skein of Peggy Sue there, from the handful I washed in the hotel room on Saturday night, I spun it up Monday night because I had this diz and I needed to use it. Why do you ask me if I am compulsive?) (and two skeins of Socks that Rock and two Linda Diak batts and a sample of the roving I got from Tintagel Farms/Persimmon Tree Farms. I did also get a Diak crochet hook and some Mountain Colors and a skein of heathery purple yarn)

my new little TreeTops niddy-noddy, my new Charis spindle, my new Woodchuck diz and nostepinde;

a very small girl with a toy sheep;


the glow over the Woodchuck's stall, reflecting off his finishes;

a fine room party on Friday and a loud huge take-over-the-lobby that the management didn't object to on Saturday night;


perfect timing with my ride and roomies on Saturday, so they were heading to the car just when I wanted to drop off my fleece, and agin when my feet were dropping off me and I needed a Voice of Reason to tell me to Go Home and Put Them Up.


Saturday I ran into everyone at every turn. Sunday I missed nearly everyone and left about 2, wondering whether walking through one more barn would have turned them up again. But I know I will see youse all again soon.

Since I got home I have been doing things like tidying the fleece loft so I will have room for the new fleece (I am banned from even looking at anymore for as long as it takes to whittle the stash down) washing the fleece; planting 95 daffodils and a motherwort; and actually unpacking and organizing some books, which I had been putting off for the last 15 months. Not that I am wholly unpacked or organized but it is good to feel some motion there.

Thanks for the energies.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a joyous time, just like we had. I've already washed, um, one of my fleeces (yes, I got two...not counting the one that I lent money to Deanna for and asked her to pay me back in wool) as well. I'm feeling a bit gluttonous at this point. Maybe a fiber loft would make me feel better....hmm.

Anonymous said...

Seeing you was a wonderful surprise. You kept me in giggles, and made sure we didn't take anything too terribly seriously. I like your summary...the LauraJ's eye-view.

Anonymous said...

Oh I had so much fun shopping with you, but needed you on Sunday to push me over the edge on the spindle issue. As it was, I left without one, and missed seeing you. We left about the same time, I am surprised we didn't see each other on the highway. We must get together soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you did have a good time, even if we had to drag you kicking and screaming. You enabled me profusely (I love my Woodchuck spindle, which I went back and got on Sunday) and it was fabulous to see you and spin with you. Again. Soon. Anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!